Google
 

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Sir Grapefellow Cereal

Tally-ho! Who remembers Sir Grapefellow cereal? Here is a box from around 1972 or so.

Yes, GRAPE flavored cereal! This royal treat hit store shelves around 1972. Sir Grapefellow was a pilot and starred opposite of his foe, Baron Von Redberry. Both cereals were marketed together.

As you can see from the box, Sir Grapefellow enjoyed giving us the "OK" sign to let us know that everything would be OK. With the "Sir" title and the "Tally-Ho" phrase, we can safely assume he was British.

Nothing says "cool" better than a scarf and aviator goggles! Where have you gone, Sir Grapefellow?

I do remember eating this cereal, and it was very yummy. I can still remember the grape flavored marshmallows especially.

There were a number of cereal premiums given away insides boxes of Sir Grapefellow and Baron Von Redberry cereals. Here's a list of what I've been able to find.
  • at least 4 different square iron-on patches
  • at least 2 different round iron-on patches
  • balsa wood glider planes (mail-away)
  • Grapefellow's balloon-powered "Air Car" (3 different colors)
  • magic blow pipe and ball
  • coloring posters with crayons (mail-away, 4 different)
  • plastic planes with foam wings
  • propeller planes (box back cut-out)
If you know of other prizes, please post a comment and share your information!

I cannot recall any specific TV commercials for these cereals. I've purchased a few cereal commercial videos from eBay, but haven't seen any yet. If you're aware of any available, or just want to share memories of these, please post a comment.

Here are a few premiums from Sir Grapefellow which I spotted on eBay. (I'll post some Baron Von Redberry prizes in a future blog post).








5 comments:

  1. I was exceedingly scrawny in 1972, and had no interest in food, until June of that year when I dicovered Sir Grapefellow. for three months it was all I ate, except for a few oreo cookies and chocolate milk. I slurped up at least ten crates of the stuff, it was beautiful, turned the milk a luscious lilac color and tasted of grape candy, but the best part were those stale sugar packed marshmallow bits. Then all of a sudden it disappeared, and my life hasn't been the same since. Where have you gone sir grapefellow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, I loved Baron Von Redberry and Sir Grapefellow! Thanks for posting the pics, they really take me back! Are those your booxes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brett -- Thanks for the comments. I'm glad to find that people still remember those characters. The iron-ons are mine. The box pictures are ones that I saved from eBay auctions in the past, which went too high for me to win. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man those were good, but they turned your teeth purple! I like Baron Von RedBerry too, but I like Sir Grapefellow better. There was an ad on YouTube for awhile, but it's been taken down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharry -- Yes, I saw that commercial. YouTube has been removing a lot of vintage commercials from the site for some reason. :-(

    ReplyDelete

[:::] Thanks for visiting my blog. Older articles can be found in my Blog Archive.